[plug] Preferred mail scanning system?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Oct 13 23:26:42 WST 2004

Craig Foster wrote:

> While people hate having SMTP proxies, but if something goes pear shaped,
> it's simple to change a port number and work out what's happening without
> affecting everyone else.

Yeah... I really dislike SMTP proxies. If I was, say, trying to protect
an Exchange box it'd kind of make sense, but then why not use a
gateway/proxy postfix machine (as I currently do for sendmail)?

I'm really looking for something that plays with the MTA rather than
works without its knowledge. I'll trust postfix to know how to handle it
when things go wrong, and how to detect if a helper fails. I'm not so
confident about an SMTP proxy.

As for things going pear shaped, it's very important to be able to tell
when things are going wrong. Good, reliable logging is important. That,
for me, is another reason to want the MTA to be the first point of
contact for incoming mail.

I appreciate the suggestions, but I don't think I'll be trying the SMTP
proxy route.

--
Craig Ringer