KDE Desktop [plug] X forwarding SOLVED

Marc Wiriadisastra marc-w at smlintl.com.au
Thu Oct 14 08:49:41 WST 2004

Craig Ringer wrote:

> Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
>
>> Are you able to get a kde or gnome desktop across ssh.
>

> I'm a little confused by that statement. If your intent was "Is it
> possible to get a KDE or GNOME session across ssh" then the answer is yes.
>
> ssh -X $REMOTE_HOST_NAME startkde

I tried that and it seemed to push the screen all the way to the top for
some reason.  It loaded up but the screen shifted up the top for some
reason so I'm thinking that there are issues with display or something
not really sure though.

> startx /usr/bin/ssh -X $REMOTE_HOST_NAME startkde

> Fatal server error:
> PAM authentication failed, cannot start X server.
>         Perhaps you do not have console ownership?

This is what I received as teh error hence the pam theory but I don't know.

> from the console (it certainly should work if you use ssh keys and the
> ssh agent; not sure how password input would work otherwise though).
>
> A another way, at the cost of efficiency, may be:
>
> ssh -X $REMOTE_HOST_NAME startx -- /usr/X11R6/bin/Xnest

An with this command it said the same error as above PAM authentication
failed.

Thats with xnest installed as well.