KDE Desktop [plug] X forwarding SOLVED

Marc Wiriadisastra marc-w at smlintl.com.au
Thu Oct 14 13:54:13 WST 2004

Craig Ringer wrote:

> Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
>
>> I tried it a different way and it seemed to work.
>>
>> ssh -X $REMOTE_HOST_IP
>>
>> #startkde

Now when I try to do it the screen goes up so I lose my whole screen.
Like it loads the kde off the server and it scrolls the screen up and I
lose everything.

> Yes, that is the expected behaviour. You can only have one window
> manager per X server, for one thing, so if a local one is running, the
> remote one won't start. Other components of the desktop will usually
> start but overlay your existing session. While that's normal, it's
> probably not what you wanted.
>
> If you want two separate desktops start your remote session on a
> different X server. You'll want either Xnest or a second "native"
> server. If you start a second native server it will start on the next
> free tty - in a fairly standard configuration you can switch between
> them using CTL-ALT-F7 and CTL-ALT-F8.

As I said elsewhere the debian laptop I use crashes when I try and do
that. Just going to and pressing CTL-ALT-F2 it crashes with the
following error:

Codec_semaphone: Semaphone is not ready.

It just keeps recurring that constantly.

> Examples:
>
> New native server, run from console (eg tty01, CTL-ALT-F1), will not
> work without ssh-agent and key-based auth (unless you can persuade ssh
> to take keyboard input when run from startx):
>
>      startx /usr/bin/ssh -X $REMOTE_HOST $STARTKDE_PATH -- :1

$startx /usr/bin/ssh -X smlintl.com.au /usr/bin/startkde -- :1

> Using authority file /home/marc-w//.Xauthority
> Writing authority file /home/marc-w//.Xauthority
> Using authority file /home/marc-w//.Xauthority
> Writing authority file /home/marc-w//.Xauthority
> X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
> xinit:  Server error.
> Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console

All the other ones say the same thing

> Xnest, run from existing X session, otherwise as above including
> authentication limitation:
>
>     startx `which Xnest` -X $REMOTE_HOST $STARTKDE_PATH -- :1

If I run that command on my client I get the same error as above if I
run it on the server after I have ssh'ed into it I get the Pam error I
got before since I didn't know which one you meant I tried both so as to
discount a potential stuff upon my side.

> Xnest, manual method, may require changes to get functional authentication:
>
>     Xnest :1 >&/tmp/xnest.log &
>     export DISPLAY=:1
>     ssh -X $REMOTE_HOST $STARTKDE_PATH
>
> New native server with just an xterm (requires `xterm' to be on your
> PATH) so you can manually ssh out to start your session:
>     startx `which xterm` -- :1
>

> --  > Fatal server error:
> PAM authentication failed, cannot start X server.
>         Perhaps you do not have console ownership?
>

> Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
>          at http://wiki.X.Org
>  for help.

Thanks for the help

Marc