KDE Desktop [plug] X forwarding SOLVED

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Oct 14 14:16:22 WST 2004

Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> Craig Ringer wrote:
>

>> Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
>>
>>> I tried it a different way and it seemed to work.
>>>
>>> ssh -X $REMOTE_HOST_IP
>>>
>>> #startkde

> Now when I try to do it the screen goes up so I lose my whole screen.
> Like it loads the kde off the server and it scrolls the screen up and I
> lose everything.

Do you mean something like this:

"I pressed CTL-ALT-F1 to get a console and logged in. I ran 'startkde'
and a bunch of text scrolled up the screen, but nothing else happened.
The text started with 'blah' and the last few lines were 'blah'. I can
provide the full text if requested."

?

Please try to be more detailed and clear in your descriptions. Remember
that the person you're speaking to can not see your screen or your
actions, so you must describe _everything_. It is better to describe in
too much detail than too little. The better the descriptions and
explanations you give, the more chance someone will be able to help you.

Giving better descriptions also improves the chance of somebody spending
their time to try to help you instead of deciding you can't be bothered
putting the effort in, so neither can they.

> As I said elsewhere the debian laptop I use crashes when I try and do
> that. Just going to and pressing CTL-ALT-F2 it crashes with the
> following error:
>
> Codec_semaphone: Semaphone is not ready.

Sounds like a driver issue with your kernel and/or X server.

>>> X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
>> xinit:  Server error.
>
> All the other ones say the same thing

So what happens when you try to just run the X server (run "X :1")? I'm
assuming here that you're working from another computer that does not
crash when you start a second X server.

>> Xnest, run from existing X session, otherwise as above including
>> authentication limitation:
>>
>>     startx `which Xnest` -X $REMOTE_HOST $STARTKDE_PATH -- :1
>
> If I run that command on my client I get the same error as above

You need to confirm that you can start an X server successfully, as I
said earlier. There is no point in wasting time trying to get remote
stuff working when there is a local problem. Confirm that you can run
the X server, and only then try the remote stuff. If you have to run the
X server as root, try that but be aware that you may have to do extra
work to get ssh's authentication to work.

> if I
> run it on the server after I have ssh'ed into it I get the Pam error I
> got before since I didn't know which one you meant I tried both so as to
> discount a potential stuff upon my side.

"run from existing X session". Perhaps I should've said "Run from an
xterm running directly in your current local X session".

You need to fix your problems with starting an X server before
proceeding. Check out your PAM configuration, try running one as root,
and do a bit of searching to find out how to get it working on your
distro. The same thing goes for running Xnest remotely - try just
ssh'ing out and running 'Xnest', make sure that works before trying it
with startx.

--
Craig Ringer