KDE Desktop [plug] X forwarding SOLVED

Marc Wiriadisastra marc-w at smlintl.com.au
Thu Oct 14 14:47:55 WST 2004

Craig Ringer wrote:

> Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
>
>> Craig Ringer wrote:

>> Now when I try to do it the screen goes up so I lose my whole screen.
>> Like it loads the kde off the server and it scrolls the screen up and
>> I lose everything.
>

> Do you mean something like this:
>
> "I pressed CTL-ALT-F1 to get a console and logged in. I ran 'startkde'
> and a bunch of text scrolled up the screen, but nothing else happened.
> The text started with 'blah' and the last few lines were 'blah'. I can
> provide the full text if requested."
>
> ?

I pressed CTL-ALT-F1 and it went to console and blurted I didn't even
have time to type anything.  It was a constant barrage of the same words.

Yeah I can provide the full text since its constant.  Its only two lines
those ones that I provided before.

> Please try to be more detailed and clear in your descriptions. Remember
> that the person you're speaking to can not see your screen or your
> actions, so you must describe _everything_. It is better to describe in
> too much detail than too little. The better the descriptions and
> explanations you give, the more chance someone will be able to help you.

I thought I had provided enough info obviously not its hard to explain
something when you don't know whats important and whats not.  I pasted
the exact commands I used for that reason.

> Giving better descriptions also improves the chance of somebody spending
> their time to try to help you instead of deciding you can't be bothered
> putting the effort in, so neither can they.
I do agree.

> So what happens when you try to just run the X server (run "X :1")? I'm
> assuming here that you're working from another computer that does not
> crash when you start a second X server.

On which computer my physical one or the remote one??? Sorry I'm
confused now.

> You need to confirm that you can start an X server successfully, as I
> said earlier. There is no point in wasting time trying to get remote
> stuff working when there is a local problem. Confirm that you can run
> the X server, and only then try the remote stuff. If you have to run the
> X server as root, try that but be aware that you may have to do extra
> work to get ssh's authentication to work.

On my local computer being the physical one I'm touching I can run kde
and all of that fine.  In fact its a debian box and I log straight into
kdm then use kde3.

On the remote machine I'm assuming I can if I can startkde with a
separate command apart from the fact that the screen goes up.

>> if I run it on the server after I have ssh'ed into it I get the Pam
>> error I got before since I didn't know which one you meant I tried
>> both so as to discount a potential stuff upon my side.
>

> "run from existing X session". Perhaps I should've said "Run from an
> xterm running directly in your current local X session".
>
> You need to fix your problems with starting an X server before
> proceeding. Check out your PAM configuration, try running one as root,
> and do a bit of searching to find out how to get it working on your
> distro. The same thing goes for running Xnest remotely - try just
> ssh'ing out and running 'Xnest', make sure that works before trying it
> with startx.

Yeah unfortunately I think thats where the issue is with pam since I
can't log in as root to run it although I can if I log in then change to
root using:

$ su -

One last thing that I've tried and works well sorta works is I ssh into
the server type the following command as a normal user.
$vncserver
A server then comes up I log in using my local machine using vncviewer
and then in the xterm I type
$startkde
And kde comes up albeit I'm missing the taskbar at the bottom and things
like that but it comes up no errors.

So I think I'm missing something really simple if it does work but just
the methodology of how it works???

Anyways thanks for your help I'll scour around to see if I can solve
that pam issue since I think that'll be the most amount of headache.

Marc