[plug] ADSL plans

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Fri Oct 15 20:57:30 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 01:00, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Chris Caston wrote:
>
> > It *may* well be easier to *convince* WPC to insulate all the cables
> > that it would be to convince Telstra to allow ADSL. Just a guess.\
>
> True. On the other hand, if Western Power was to go and insulate all the
> cables (presuming such a procedure is feasible; something of which I'm
> not convinced), they'd have to seriously consider running fibre at the
> same time ;-)
>
> Telstra is the only company that believes that Telstra should control
> all the infrastructure. Unfortunately, building parallel infrastructure
> is expensive and often unprofitable.
>
> --
> Craig Ringer

There's also an article that was posted on Slashdot on the topic of BPL
(broadband over power lines) and the recent FCC approval.

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/10/14/1/?nc=1

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/10/15/0424216&tid=95&tid=215&tid=193&tid=1

I really think people shouldn't dismiss it so quickly. After all it
could virtually provide broadband all over Australia as well as many
third world countries.

It might just be another "wait and see"

regards,

Chris