[plug] More XDMCP and GDM Problems

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Sat Oct 16 09:38:26 WST 2004

I now need my server to connect to another server also running XDMCP so
I can administer the headless box. I have gdm=2.6.0.4-1 on the 'client'
and gdm=2.2.5.5-2 on the server. I have set up the server so that it
starts GDM without any local servers and this works fine. I can then
login to the server from the client over XDMCP by selecting Actions->
Run XDMXP Chooser and selecting the appropriate box.
If I try to do this by starting another GDM session (with System
Tools->New login, or Sytem Tools -> New Login in Nested Window) I can't
get the XDMCP Chooser. I select it from the actions menu and it just
closes the X server returning me to my original session.
I don't want to start a second server permenatelly or have to ask root
to start the server as it should be easier. Does anybody know how to get
GDM to connect to another server using XDMCP without logging out?
A `Xnest :1 -broadcast` works fine as my normal user with the
disadvantage/advantage that I have to kill the X server to end the
connection as hitting disconnect on gdm (server) just restarts gdm.
Interestingly running `sudo X :1 -broadcast` just game me a remote
gdmlogin for the localmachine (which is the terminal server) and then
hitting disconnect gave me a gdmlogin for the server. What should I run
instead of -broadcast to get the host chooser(gdmchooser)?

Thanks
Tim