[Re: pacific & WAIX (was Re: [plug] Mandrake 10.1 local PLF and Contrib)]

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Sat Oct 16 22:34:14 WST 2004

Matt Kemner wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, quoth Jim Householder:
>

>>Scott Middleton wrote:
>>
>>>Pacific.net is on WAIX but planetmirror is not.
>>>

>>I just started an update and thought I had better check my WestNet usage.
>>It appears that Pacific.net, as presented here, *is not* free.
>

> It should be free.  I can ping and ftp to mirror.pacific.net.au from
> waix.linuxit.com.au, which is co-located with WestNet and has a WAIX-only
> IP address (203.31.12.195)
>
>  - Matt

Is it possible they have servers not on WAIX?  I am definitely being charged for my download.

I just got this reply from WestNet support:

Hi Jim,

Route changes are always subject to change and usually out of WestNet or
WAIX's hands. If the route has changed recently and doesn't run through
WAIX anymore, chances are it won't be free traffic.

I ran a traceroute from here and it appears to go through Comindico.
There is a thread on Whirlpool that explains why some traffic via
Comindico may not be free anymore. Hope this helps.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=207650

Kind regards,

Alan
Alan Elshaw
Senior Technical Support Team
WestNet - Your Australia Wide Internet Provider
Phone: +61 8 62636300 - Fax: 1300 554 160
Sales: 13 19 60 - Helpdesk: 1300 786 068
http://www.westnet.com.au/
_