[plug] Terminal Server

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sun Oct 17 10:26:01 WST 2004

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 02:49:35AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > > the X libs even have primitive support for client migration.
>
> I'll see if I can dig up some more info on this - my comments were
> mostly based upon comments I've read by folks like Keith Packard and Jim
> Gettys.

Ahhh, just found a paper by Keith on R&R which describes it. Thanks!

> > > Alas, I'm not aware of any X toolkit with functional support :-(
> >
> > Latest (cvs?) versions of Gtk+ support arbitrarily moving Gtk+ apps
> > between X servers.
>
> I knew the gtk+ folks had been playing with it, but had no idea they'd
> got something working. That's brilliant. Do you know if client
> disconnect and later reconnect is also supported?

Not entirely sure. The only time I actually saw it in action is when
Adrian (Woodley) was demonstrating it and I'm pretty sure he was
running Gnome from CVS. Adrian - if you're reading this, can you
offer any insight? :)

The other alternative is to use a proxy server approach like xmove.
It's in Debian, but hasn't been maintained in some time, although it
did work last I tried (this was my initial thought for CryoPID, but
went against the spirit of not having to have any forethought when
you started the program to point its display at xmove).

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>