[plug] Terminal Server

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Oct 17 02:49:35 WST 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 02:33, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 02:17:53AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 12:19, Tim White wrote:
> > > So, is this possible under Linux and using XDMCP?
> >
> > the X libs even have primitive support for client migration.
>
> Really? Can you possibly point me at any docs describing it? I'm
> interested to try and integrate such a thing into
> http://cryopid.berlios.de/ :)

That would be cool.

I'll see if I can dig up some more info on this - my comments were
mostly based upon comments I've read by folks like Keith Packard and Jim
Gettys. If I recall correctly, the support was very minimal and mostly
non-functional due to assumptions made by higher-level code (such as
caching various info about the X server on start-up), especially
toolkits. Please be aware that this info is at least second hand, though
I'm pretty sure I recall the basics correctly.

I'll see if I can locate where I found the info and let you know. I
suspect documentation would be a little too much to hope for ;-)

> > Alas, I'm not aware of any X toolkit with functional support :-(
>
> Latest (cvs?) versions of Gtk+ support arbitrarily moving Gtk+ apps
> between X servers.

I knew the gtk+ folks had been playing with it, but had no idea they'd
got something working. That's brilliant. Do you know if client
disconnect and later reconnect is also supported?

Well, time for me to crash.

--
Craig Ringer