[plug] idebus speed

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Oct 17 13:28:04 WST 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 10:45, Tim White wrote:
> I have a motherboard that I know should be able to run at a higher
> idebus speed than 33Mhz. It is a E139761 (as far as I can see[1]) and
> I'm not to sure what I sould try. Should I try booting it with different
> speeds using knoppix or what? I really want to get the most from the
> drives that are fairly new.

How are you determining that Linux is running the IDE bus at 33 MHz? If
you mean the boot message about "assuming 33MHz", My understanding is
that that is not relevant to the drive access.

If you do wish to examine and possibly change drive settings, you
probably want to look into `hdparm`. BE CAREFUL, because with a buggy
drive or controller you can damage your system. It should be safe to
query the drive with `hdparm $DRIVENAME` and `hdparm -i $DRIVENAME` to
determine its current settings and capabilities.

--
Craig Ringer