[plug] Tracking down X server problem - Hardware?

Marc Wiriadisastra marc-w at smlintl.com.au
Mon Oct 18 10:15:50 WST 2004

Tim White wrote:

> I have a box that randomlly freezes the X server. It used to run windows
> with the exactly same hardware and never had the problems. When it
> freezes the Keyboard and mouse stop responding and the display stops
> updating. I can ssh in and kill the X server and all works fine again.
> This happens with a local X server and a remote XDMCP session (with the
> computer as the client, not server)
> It has a ps2 mouse and keyboard. TNT2 graphics card. It is running
> Xfree86=4.1.0-16, Debian Stable, with a 2.6.6 kernel and the Nvidia
> modules compiled agains the kernel.
> Nothing appears in the logs and just killing some of the xclients fails.
> I have to kill the X server.
> Any clues as to how I can track it down?
> Thanks
> Tim

I had this problem on a windows box on the weekend.  I ended up
re-instsalling the drivers didn't solve it, tried a video card didn't
solve it, it ended up being my motherboard so don't discount that it may
be a hardware issue but then again it may not I'm just saying don't
forget it could be.

Love warranty :P

HTH

Marc