[plug] Antivirus

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Mon Oct 18 14:59:00 WST 2004

Brad Campbell wrote:

> I live and die by F-prot for linux & windows.

Something that I've been meaning to try is push updating. Something that
is provided free if you use your brain.
If you've got your own mail server then it's even easier but if not try
this.
Subscribe to the 'F-Prot Antivirus Alert Service'
Using procmail or similar create a rule that runs the update script when
a new email arrives with the subject 'New virus signature files for
F-Prot Antivirus'
I haven't found a way to do this using a standard mail client but I do
know that some will run a script as an action to a rule. As far as I
know though, procmail is easyer.
I don't know if the service was originally intended for push updating
but its easy enough to do it.
Tim