[plug] Detecting Network Settings for mail server

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Mon Oct 18 14:30:46 WST 2004

I wish to start running all my mail through a system MTA and SMTP in
preperation for a mail system change over. As I need to download my mail
from a pop server I am going to use fetchmail. The biggest problem is
that the computer running the mail system is not the gateway so I can't
have pon and poff scripts (Apart from the fact the gateway is a windoz
box.) What I want to do is run fetchmail as a daemon checking mail every
10 minutes when online. I also need exim to send my mail which obviously
needs to sit in a queue. I can probably let it just poll the server
every 10 mins but I don't know if thats the best way, especially for the
SMTP server as it would think that the host is down.
I currently use Thunderbird and enjoy it getting mail when online every
10 mins and I have the power to go offline.
Something like this would be nice. I don't really want to have to run a
command every few minutes to check if I have new mail.
Tim