[plug] Detecting Network Settings for mail server

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 18 16:13:44 WST 2004

Fetchmail will do the access monitoring for you - no extra scripts
needed.  It worked well with a dialup modem that went online a couple of
times a day - does a check every 5 mins when online.

Never used exim.  I use postfix to deliver the mail from fetchmail, then
IMAP so I can log in with whatever email client I have handy (usually
evolution, but my wife has thunderbird on her doze laptop and I have
used outlook as well.  Also running squirrelmail as a web frontend.)
You can then set your local mail client to monitor your server as much
as you like.  you can run imap/postfix/fetchmail on a home desktop quite
happily whilst using it - did it like that for a few years until I moved
it all to a separate gateway so I could turn the wind farm off at night
to cut the noise!

BillK