[plug] Detecting Network Settings for mail server

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 18 16:39:47 WST 2004

Fetchmail delivers the retrieved mail to postfix on port 25 which then
sends it on to the designated user account(s)
postfix will send outgoing mail when a connection exists (i.e., it can
connect) - not as intelligent as fetchmail, but it works.

The scenario you put forward is quite common and the tools are already
there to take care of it.  An added advantage is that when you want to
reconfigure the system (say move the mail to a different server such as
when you change that troublesome legacy windows gateway to a modern
linux server), it is much simpler to do.

BillK