[plug] DNS timeout too short

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Mon Oct 18 20:03:28 WST 2004

In message <41738A45.4010808 at tigris.org>
on Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 05:17:57PM +0800, Tim White wrote:
> On a fairly loaded dialup I am experiencing DNS time-outs. Is far as I
> know Optus doesn't have a transparent DNS proxy so [it's] probably
> just the load. Until I get a DNS proxy on the local net all the comps
> will be doing their own dns requests although [it's] only a few
> machines. How can I set it so that it waits longer before timing out
> on DNS connections?

It's probably not configurable, but I guess the glibc documentation
would be the place to look. Perhaps adding some extra nameservers to
a computer's config will fool it into trying a bit longer.

> p.s. Thunderbird always used to just persist for almost a minute
> sometimes, fetchmail just seems to short and so does firefox

What do you mean by "seems to short"? Do you mean "the timeout seems too
short" or "it seems to fail immediately"? If it fails immediately, that
is interesting.