[plug] DNS timeout too short

Peter F Bradshaw pfb at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Oct 19 10:45:53 WST 2004

Hi;

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Tim White wrote:

> On a fairly loaded dialup I am experiencing DNS time-outs. Is far as I
> know Optus doesn't have a transparent DNS proxy so its probably just the
> load. Until I get a DNS proxy on the local net all the comps will be
> doing their own dns requests although its only a few machines. How can I
> set it so that it waits longer before timing out on DNS connections? Its
> happening in fetchmail and firefox.

A local DNS server is best. But, in your situation, you can double the
timeout by adding an identical nameserver entry in /etc/resolv.conf. For
instance /etc/resolv.conf:

nameserver 203.8.116.4
nameserver 203.8.116.4

The first entry may time out but, while it is doing so the daemon is
making the request which is more likely to be supplied during the second.

> Thanks
> Tim
> p.s. Thunderbird always used to just persist for almost a minute
> sometimes, fetchmail just seems to short and so does firefox

Cheers

--
Peter F Bradshaw, pfb at users.sourceforge.net, ICQ 75431157 (exadios).
PGP public key at http://exadios.d2.net.au/public_key.html