[plug] Re: HELO antispam checks

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Mon Oct 18 22:16:18 WST 2004

> $ telnet mail.postnewspapers.com.au 25
> Connected to access.postnewspapers.com.au.
> Trying 202.72.149.28...
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 mail.postnewspapers.com.au ESMTP Postfix
> HELO www.postnewspapers.com.au
> 250 mail.postnewspapers.com.au
> MAIL FROM: fred at smith.com
> 250 Ok
> RCPT TO: bob at jones.com
> 554 <bob at jones.com>: Relay access denied

I got a little worried when I was first testing it as I wasn't thinking.
---
220 linmedia ESMTP Exim 4.34 Mon, 18 Oct 2004 22:03:03 +0800
HELO linmedia
250 linmedia Hello localhost [127.0.0.1]
MAIL FROM: fred at smith.com
250 OK
RCPT TO: bob at jones.com
250 Accepted
---
It was then I realised that I was still on the local box. It doesn't
even listen on the LAN (Even though I set it up to when I originally
configured it through deb conf) so I guess its ok although at a later
date I will have to change the settings.
If this is giving the same heading as when it sends mail I can see a
problem that is going to possibly occur. Some people have exim set up
(from what I learnt reading the conf files) to reject servers that
identify them selves with a non standard hostname, i.e. one that isn't a
full qualified host name with domain. Linmedia is not going to pass so I
may get rejecected because of that. Even after changing it in
/etc/mailname and running update-exim4.conf.
Well I guess I have a lot of configuring to do.
Tim

--
Tim White
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net