[plug] Apache vhost alias_module

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Tue Oct 19 17:45:29 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 17:38, James Devenish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, October 19, 2004 5:16 pm, Chris Caston said:
> >  187 <Virtual host>
> >  188 ServerName localhost
> >  189 DocumentRoot /var/www
> >  190 </VirtualHost>
>
> Mark is basically correct, but on a hunch I think there is an obvious
> problem with line 187 anyway. Even *if* you have all the right modules
> loaded, I suspect none will handle the "Virtual" block. Additionally,
> line 187 does not balance correctly with line 190. I think it is likely
> that they should both say "VirtualHost", whereas line 187 says only
> "Virtual". So, repair line 187 by hand so that it reads:
>
> <VirtualHost host>
>
> Then try again (restart, reload, reinstall, whatever), and see if the
> error messages are resolved. This does not necessary mean that the
> system will do what you want, but it at least cleans up the syntax
> error.

http:/etc/apache2# vi /etc/apache/httpd.conf
http:/etc/apache2# /etc/init.d/apache restart
Configuration syntax error detected. Not reloading.

Syntax error on line 187 of /etc/apache/httpd.conf:
Invalid command '<Virtualhost>', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a
module notincluded in the server configuration

It does look a little cleaner ;)