[plug] Apache vhost alias_module

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Tue Oct 19 18:15:34 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 18:04, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <1098179476.2856.50.camel at localhost>
> on Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 05:51:17PM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> > LoadModule virualhost /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_vhost_alias.so
> > I didn't know what I was supposed to write where I wrote "virtualhost"
> > so here goes nothing.
>
> I do not know how your current situation has arisen, but I suggest the
> following:
>
>  - Forget about mod_vhost_alias.
>  - Forget about mod_vhost_alias.
>  - Forget about mod_vhost_alias.
>
> Now, forget about mod_vhost_alias. Next, make a correction to line 187,
> by commenting out the whole block or changing it to <VirtualHost host>.
> Let us know if the server starts without error. IF SO, then edit
> modules.conf to add mod_vhost_alias:
>
> LoadModule vhost_alias_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_vhost_alias.so
>
> Now, restart Apache and verify that it does not complain. If so,
> mod_vhost_alias is installed correctly, but is no yet configured to
> do anything (unless Webmin has already added directives to make
> mod_vhost_alias do something).

James,

This is all a bit confusing but I'll tell you where I am now.

I commentedthe the funny <virtual host> lines out of the httpd.conf and
found that I also have to comment out line 935
 #AddModule mod_auth_vhost.c before it could start.

I have successfully started Apache but I do not yet know if Virtual
hosting will work.

thanks again for your help and sorry for being such a klutz (if that is
the right word) ;)

regards,

Chris