[plug] I think I'm cursed...

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Fri Oct 22 01:25:04 WST 2004

Hi

I successfully acquired the 3 isos for MDK 10.1, and updated my 10.0 system with urpmi --auto-select.  I suspect there is a 4th iso, since there were only about 540 packages (1.3GB) compared with 700+ and 1.9GB from Pacific.net.

The first thing I noticed when rebooting was that the count-down timer in the lilo menu (a nice blue screen) was rubbish - like the numbers were overwritten but like that from the start.  It worked fine otherwise.

sendmail postfix complains now that XXXX is not a fully qualified name.  Never has been.

Then came the login delay.  4 minutes from entering the password until the bash prompt for a normal user, no delay for root.  The log files show nothing unusual.  ps aux  shows the login process with stat = Ds+ (D = uninterruptable sleep - usually IO, s = session leader, and + = part of the foreground process group).  top shows 98%+ idle.

If I wait 4 minutes before trying to log in, there is no delay!  The only logfile entries during that time are for ntpd.

My logfiles go back to June '04.  I started with kernel 2.6.3-4mdk from cds I got from the last installfest, and then built 2.6.3-7.  Neither have modules enabled.

Any thoughts?

Jim