[plug] I think I'm cursed...

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 22 07:28:24 WST 2004

On a personnel note, I have found that upgrading rpm distros is a recipe
for disaster on desktop systems.  Servers are generally ok, but desktops
are rather complicated and you end up with a lot of crud all over the
disk with many things broken, or odd things happening.  Format the OS
partitions and start again or use something like debian or gentoo which
does a better job of upgrading.

Your problem may have something to do with dns, hostname and network
settings - seems like one symptom at least points to this.  Sounds like
a dns lookup or authorisation problem thats timing out.  Can get very
complicated.

BillK