[plug] desktop to screen

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Oct 26 12:50:49 WST 2004

WolfBite wrote:
> your running an app in X
> you can send it to a differnt desktop
>
> How do you send it to a different screen?
>
> Remember its ALREADY running, dont want to stop it and
> start again on different screen
> i.e. gkrellm2 --display :1
>
> switching screen is no prob starting, but if I ALREADY
> started it and want to send it to a differnt screen
> how?

As far as I know, you can't. Sorry. Bernard mentioned a little while ago
that there's experimental support in gtk for it now. I'm not aware of
any nice, well-established method. Some not-so-nice methods:
	- Run your session in Xvnc.
	- use the Xmove X proxy server
	- use the X vnc module to serve the X server's framebuffer
Only Xmove actually uses X11 rather than the VNC protocol.

Hopefully doing such client moves (and hopefully disconnects/reconnects)
will become more common in time. X11 has been around for a while though...

--
Craig Ringer