[plug] ADSL speed

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Tue Oct 26 15:39:59 WST 2004

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, quoth Russ Powers:

> Is there any software to test the actual speed of downloads and uploads on my
> adsl link? Or perhaps a website that can do it?

Download something relatively big from your ISP's fileserver (if they have
one)

Assuming you are on WAIX you could also download from another WAIX ISP's
fileserver (eg mirror.wa.3fl.net)

> I assume the theoretical speed of the adsl connection is affected by the
> application being used and the number of machines between my desktop and the
> end destination.

The number of machines will affect latency, it should not affect speed.

Also, the value reported by the application (ftp client etc) will be less
than the actual throughput of the ADSL which includes the TCP/IP overheads
etc.

I've found FTP on 512kb ADSL maxes out around 55-60kB/s
1.5Mbit ADSL around 155-160 kB/s

 - Matt