[plug] Re: [users] Antivirus.?

Rowan Sutherland perseng at arach.net.au
Tue Oct 26 21:30:40 WST 2004

I've always been a fan of AVG 6.0 FREE Edition, and still am, but only
because its free.

Encounter with Win32/Parite which appends itself to many many files. AVG
cannot remove it, and the dictionary resource on the AVG website said
that this virus cannot be removed, the implication being that it was a
reformat/reinstall job. After running the scan and not cleaning it, the
computer was in a very bad state indeed (apps not launching). Norton
cleaned this virus with relative ease (thanks Mr Norton).

Norton can also be a bad boy too. A few years ago in a corporate
situation with a parent server installed we had a situation where a
corrupted definitions file went down to all the clients. It created some
havoc for a few days. Norton proved to be a most terrible virus in
itself.

Virus scanners are frequently updated and hence can be problematic at
times. Ive seen many virus scanners and I honestly cannot say which is
best. People tend to form a bit of an emoitional bond with their
favorite AV company.

In short, Norton is a good virus scanner, becoming better (the whole
suite is a good thing too cos it does the adware as well)
Trend Micro Internet Security Suite is a good virus scanner too, and
cheaper than Norton (OEM version is about $40as opposed to about $70 for
NAV)
AVG 6.0 is Free, and mediocre (main flaws are in its cleaning up, I so
often have to do it manually)

Linux is great.