Munged post. :: [plug] linux in industry

Julian Clark julian.clark at student.curtin.edu.au
Wed Oct 27 10:08:30 WST 2004

Hi Alex [& PLUG]

This post was somehow munged and attached to the Antivirus thread...
I'm not sure if something screwy happened between the chair and the
screen, or if something went amiss with the mail delivery. ;)

Anyway, I've re-posted it here, together with my thoughts on the subject.

My current employer does not use linux, unix or  bsd. :(

My previous employer had a mix of Windows, Linux and Sun Servers.
Windows was the file server. Linux for servince some dynamic intranet
content and Sun for the Mammoth Databases that they had. They were a
telephone company, so you can imagine how big that those databases were.

I was talking with someone from the Health Department who told me that
they use Linux where possible. They don't want to be spending lots of $$
training people up in Linux use, so they're unlikely to be using it as a
desktop environment, but there are some applications that they run that
are reliant on using Linux.

I guess that some of this stuff depends on your perception of real
business. If your accountant feels that real business is making a pivot
chart with pretty graphs from data in Excel. then he's probably right.

However, if real business implies real computing. then he need look no
further than the success of Linux in a server environment.

Another thing to consider... HP/Compaq are producing Laptops with Redhat
pre-installed. It seems that they too are taking Linux seriously.

Hope this helps.

Julian