Munged post. :: [plug] linux in industry

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Oct 27 12:33:07 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 10:08, Julian Clark wrote:
> Hi Alex [& PLUG]
>
> This post was somehow munged and attached to the Antivirus thread...
> I'm not sure if something screwy happened between the chair and the
> screen, or if something went amiss with the mail delivery. ;)

If you started the thread by replying to another message and changing
the subject, that'd be why. Otherwise, no idea.

> I guess that some of this stuff depends on your perception of real
> business. If your accountant feels that real business is making a pivot
> chart with pretty graphs from data in Excel. then he's probably right.

Yep, and perhaps more importantly it involves easily using tools that
integrate with ATO and bank computer systems. Largely Windows-only
tools.

I would not be surprised if small-scale accounting was one of the last
business areas to become viable on Linux, even though big-end-of-town
accounting is already generally very happy on UNIX and Linux.

--
Craig Ringer