[plug] VNC on startup

Michael Collard quadfour at iinet.net.au
Sat Oct 30 23:01:44 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 20:18 +0800, Brock Woolf wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I am have a working VNC server on my Linux mandrake 10.0  box called:
> rfbdrake 1.0
> I would like to be able to get it to run on startup, but I can't figure
> out how to do it and
> also because you need to start it up and enter a password after you
> have started it.
> Ideally I would like to be able to connect over the network any time
> and for the VNC server
> to restart automatically if it dies. I'm not sure if Linux can do this.
> But I think it probably could?
> Could someone point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance :)

I was doing VNC stuff before Mandrake got that little tool thing.
Although this is not exactly what you are asking for, this should be
what you need.

There is a program called x11vnc (part of LibVNCServer-0.6) which
connects to whatever display its told to then shares it. AFAIK its
different to mandrake's tool which is tied in with the X server. When I
want vnc, I ssh in then start it up, and can VNC from anywhere.

You can download x11vnc here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?
group_id=32584&package_id=119006&release_id=257442

To build, just a simple ./configure && make && make install. I'd also
suggest making a password thingy (no auth by default). If you have any
problems with this just email me.

Kind Regards
--
Michael Collard <quadfour at iinet.net.au>