[plug] VNC on startup

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Sat Oct 30 09:09:48 WST 2004

Brock Woolf wrote:

> I am have a working VNC server on my Linux mandrake 10.0  box called:
> rfbdrake 1.0

I haven't used mandrake for a while but from memory doesn't rfbdrake
have to be started after login. So this means that you have to login
first before it starts. Is that right?
If so, which Window manager are you using. KDE, GNOME, Icewm...
If you want it to start on login there is a file (normally .xsession
under Debian but could be .xinitrc for others) in your home directory
that you can use to create a startup script. NOTE: in my example below I
am using hypothetical command line switches and commands from my system
(kde3 starts kde for me).
--- .xsession
rfbdrake --passwd xyz && kde3
---
If you want a VNC server running all the time without having to be
logged in then their is actually a separate xserver that does it (Xvnc)
and the actual server launcher `vncserver`. Using vncpasswd you can set
a passwd to be used for all your Xvnc servers. Then its a matter of
running a script on startup that starts the server. You could even set
up [g|k|x]dm to connect to the vnc server when you login in rather than
starting anther session, just don't logout when you disconnect and you
can connect from any computer with your passwd (and even through a Java
enabled browser if you want) and you session will always be running even
before you have logged in (it would give a nice 'quick' startup effect)
Tim
p.s. If anything in this didn't make sense it is probably because I am
suffering from a lack of sleep as I have just graduated from High School!!!!

--
Tim White
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net