[plug] Program modularity/(Server Client?) - IHCC

hooker at iinet.net.au hooker at iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 1 06:14:04 WST 2004

Quoting Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au>:

> hooker at iinet.net.au wrote:
>
> >>That's a lot of work on the backend just writing interfaces. Especially
> >>if have to update the interface code every time the core adds new
> >>functionality or changes an API function. *uggh*.
> >
> > Agreed, but you've got that anyway, regardless of how you architect the
> final
> > system.
>
> True. I just prefer not to do it for umpteen different interfaces.

Understood. However, I was suggesting that there could usefully be a single set
of "backend" functions which the various frontends plug into like leggo. As an
example, modifying user properties gets done via a single interface (but
perhaps half a dozen separate methods) regardless of whether or not it's done
via the GUI, CORBA or XML.

If the design doesn't take that approach, the workload ultimately increases
during design and implementation, and even more so during maintenance.

Hook