[plug] [rant] 2.6 Kernels

Carl Gherardi cgherardi at iprimus.com.au
Wed Sep 1 20:15:26 WST 2004

On 01/09/2004, at 4:16 PM, Michael Collard wrote:

> I am very unimpressed with recent 2.6 kernels :(
>
> With the number of bugs, its resembling something that Microsoft make.
> So far I've found the loop module/code to be broken in 2.6.7 onwards,

Whats the problem with the loop code? I haven't seen anything on the
kernel list regarding this.

Kernel modules now require a stricter format, basically external
modules need to compile using the kernel build system - broke the
cisco_ipsec module for me.

>  cd
> writing under 2.6.8 is borked, kernel oops left right an center & the
> kernel has stability problems with nvidia drivers causing lockups etc.

The NVidia drivers have issues with the 4K stacks option in 2.6 up
until very recently(though I dont think that is in mainline yet)

cd writing needs the burning application needs to be suid to work with
new kernels to prevent normal users turning their cd burners into
bricks. Burning audio cds had a major memory leak for several versions
of 2.6 aswell.

If you had a philips web cam you would have stuck almost all
contentious issues in 2.6 in the last month(Your not about to use
reiserfs4 are you? ;)

Carl