[plug] bind search domain directive not working?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 2 08:26:09 WST 2004

Hi,

In message <200409020655.48057.simon at plumtek.com>
on Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 06:55:48AM +0800, Simon Scott wrote:
> Can anyone explain the below? It works on every other machine other
> than fry, which happens to have bind on it.
[...]
> [root at fry root]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
> search silan
> search danlan
> nameserver 127.0.0.1

(a) There should only be one 'search' line. I suspect the last line
is taking precedence over the preceding line. So, put both 'silan'
and 'danlan' on one line, separated by white space.

(b) Check your /etc/nsswitch.conf settings. I imagine nslookup bypasses
the nsswitch settings, so it can succeed when most other apps will fail.