[plug] DNS server

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Sep 7 15:13:42 WST 2004

Hi,

In message <200409021729.02454.russ at powerstech.com>
on Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 05:29:02PM +0800, Russ Powers wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a dns server. I've installed bind9 on my debian
> server and configured named.conf and created a zone file for the
> domain. The server is on my lan behind a firewall to the net. I've
> opened up port 53 on the firewall.

Your domain will never work for the Internet unless the com.au people
know the addresses of your DNS servers in advance. At the moment, they
seem to think your DNS servers are ns.au.com and ns2.au.com. You can
normally fix this through your registrar. (You have already taken the
first pre-requisite step, which is to have your DNS server running, but
also have a look at my brief comments below -- and don't forget to get
iiNet in on this.)

> $TTL 3D

That is a very long TTL! :)

>                         2000021605      ; serial, todays date + todays serial

You might want to update that serial number for clarity.

>                 NS      ns              ; Inet Address of name server
>                 NS      ns1.iinet.

"ns1.iinet." is invalid. I suppose you mean "ns1.iinet.net.au."?

> localhost       A       127.0.0.1

There should be no need for that localhost entry.