[plug] The persistence of off-topic extraneous postings

Jeffrey Lim jfs.world at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 15:29:59 WST 2004

[SNIP],

[SNIP]

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 14:56:53 +0800, James Devenish
<devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> Nope, nope. Filters are something you implement in your own computer;
> they are nothing to do with the PLUG server or committee or whatnot.
> It comes down to what you as a private citizen do with the copies of
> mail that you've received. People are supposed to use good Subject
> lines so that the topics of e-mails can be easily known and, optionally,
> filtered with a modicum of reliability. We have the [OT] designator for
> this purpose, too.

indeed, if we could only have proper subject headers that are clearly
specific (instead of generic), and, in this case, clearly mention the
word "gmail" in it (besides adhering to certain good email etiquette),
the rest of the folks who dont care about these messages would, and
could find these messages a little less bothersome. (I'm not too sure,
of course, about those on dial-up lines, or who are nearing their
email quota...

it is only too bad that life is not a monarchy around here. I would
surely make a good ruler. :P

Firstly, one inch = 2.54cm

-jf