[plug] The persistence of off-topic extraneous postings

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 8 14:56:53 WST 2004

In message <s13f1beb.077 at gwsmtp.training.wa.gov.au>
on Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 02:48:59PM +0800, Milan Pospisil wrote:
> On 09/08/04 01:37pm  bret at busby.net wrote:
> > messages relating to the gmail facility, be marked as such, by
> > having the word "gmail" included in the subject field, so that those
> > of us who are completely disinterested in gmail, could easily filter
> > on that, and continue to enjoy the use of the PLUG
> I would also like to suggest to excercise caution when it comes to
> introducing filters on certain topics as soon as someone calls for
> it; perhaps the PLUG's committee may wish to say something about
> that.

Nope, nope. Filters are something you implement in your own computer;
they are nothing to do with the PLUG server or committee or whatnot.
It comes down to what you as a private citizen do with the copies of
mail that you've received. People are supposed to use good Subject
lines so that the topics of e-mails can be easily known and, optionally,
filtered with a modicum of reliability. We have the [OT] designator for
this purpose, too.