[plug] Wake-on-Lan

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 8 16:26:37 WST 2004

In message <Pine.LNX.4.58.0409081606090.26149 at zephilia.dyndns.org>
on Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 04:12:14PM +0800, James Budworth wrote:
> I gave it a quick test but it doesn't seem to work.

I think there is a programme called "ethtool" which generally gives a
clear indication of whether your Ethernet interface currently has the
feature enabled. (However, it will only be able to provide this
information if the operation is supported by your hardware driver.) Both
the power management unit and the Ethernet device need to co-operate to
make wake-on-lan work, and perhaps your Ethernet card is not yet up to
speed?? There are a few different modes of operation for "wake on lan",
including "magic packet". "Magic packet" is what most people want for
their computers. Ethtool denotes this with a 'g' code. The following
posting shows an example where 'magic packet wake-on-lan' is supported
but disabled:

<http://mail.plug.linux.org.au/pipermail/plug/2004-June/054610.html>