[plug] Wake-on-Lan

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Sep 8 16:43:53 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:

> information if the operation is supported by your hardware driver.) Both
> the power management unit and the Ethernet device need to co-operate to
> make wake-on-lan work, and perhaps your Ethernet card is not yet up to
> speed??

You will generally need to have wake on LAN enabled in the BIOS.

If you don't have an on-board network card, you likely need to have a
cable going from the connector on the card to the one on the
motherboard (typically labelled "WOL" at both ends).  A lot of network
cards don't have the hardware support required for wake on LAN even
when the chipset supports it.  You mentioned having a Realtek chipset;
most of the cheapie $10 Realtek cards won't have the connector you
need.  (Every time I see a new cheapo network card, I'm amazed to find
that the surface area of the board and component count is less than
the last one I saw.  At the rate they're going, they'll soon be living
inside the PCI bus connector...)

Cameron.