[plug] Sender Policy Framework (SPF)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Sep 8 18:13:56 WST 2004

Nick Bannon wrote:

> Right now, as you were probably referring to, the fact that an email has
> passed SPF validation means that it's probably spam.
> http://www.ciphertrust.com/spf_stats

Most frustrating, isn't it ;-)

I'm inclined to demote SPF fails in spam scores but not promote SPF
passes. IMO this is just logical, and the fact that spammers are
exploiting others' misconfigured spam filters merely makes it more
important to implement.

> However, looking into it, my scepticism has gone up a notch with regard
> to SPF being anything other than an advisory mechanism.
>  * It's tacking its extra meaning into DNS TXT records - fine for
>    experimentation, but we're not meant to use that forever, are we?

I believe there was a _lot_ of discussion about that one ;-) . It's not
easy to get DNS admins to update working software, and TXT is already
out there. I guess they could change later, but I'd be surprised if it
ever happened.

>  * SPF records aren't self contained, or even strictly hierarchial. You
>    can recurse by including any other domain's SPF records!

Yikes.

> Tagging mail with SPF results should be useful, but rejecting mail
> based on SPF results seems dangerous.

I must firmly agree there. I may eventually quarantine SPF fails, but am
unlikely to reject them flat out in the near future.

--
Craig Ringer