[plug] Wake-on-Lan

James Budworth tsuki_yomi at zephilia.dyndns.org
Thu Sep 9 07:47:02 WST 2004

Okay, after a lot of fiddling last night I finally got it to work... but
not with magicpacket.

output from ethtool:

$ ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 32
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: pumbg
        Wake-on: d
        Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
        Link detected: yes

OK so it supports p,u,m,b and g, but is currently disabled as I thought
it may be.

Just as a test, I set it to wake on everything it supports.  only
problem was that magicpacket wouldn't stick.  If I restart the network,
the g flag would disappear.  Ok so time to go digging in the ethtool
settings.

       wol p|u|m|b|a|g|s|d...
              Set  Wake-on-LAN  options.   Not  all devices support
this.  The argument to this option is a  string  of  characters
specifying which options to enable.
              p  Wake on phy activity
              u  Wake on unicast messages
              m  Wake on multicast messages
              b  Wake on broadcast messages
              a  Wake on ARP
              g  Wake on MagicPacket(tm)
              s  Enable SecureOn(tm) password for MagicPacket(tm)
              d  Disable  (wake  on nothing).  This option clears all
previous options.

After a fair amount of testing I realised that only unicast works.
Broadcast will cause the machine to com back on almost immediately after
shutdown.

Unicast seems fairly reliable and will trigger on a magicpacket as well.
I'll just have to wait and see just how many time the machine starts up
by itself.  I may also need to include something in rc.local to make
sure the correct setting is maintained, depending on how well it holds
if power is lost.

--
James Budworth