[plug] Wake-on-Lan

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 9 08:03:50 WST 2004

In message <1094687222.3285.36.camel at Lina.zephilia.net>
on Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 07:47:02AM +0800, James Budworth wrote:
> Broadcast will cause the machine to com back on almost immediately
> after shutdown.

I would expect that is exactly the correct behaviour. Broadcast packets
are pretty common on many networks, so they could be expected to lead to
spurious wake-on-LAN responses. If you have two computers on your
network, at least one of them is probably sending out broadcast packets
periodically, and those are getting picked up by the wake-on-LAN
feature.

> I'll just have to wait and see just how many time the machine starts up
> by itself.

The advantage of magic packet is that it is one of the least like to be
falsely triggered. It is interesting that you say it doesn't work.

> If I restart the network, the g flag would disappear.
[...]
> I may also need to include something in rc.local to make sure the
> correct setting is maintained, depending on how well it holds if
> power is lost.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "restart the network", but in any
case it sounds like the 'driver' is intentionally setting things to
its 'factory' defaults. Your rc.local idea sounds like a good
workaround.