[plug] Article on Microsoft's Perception of Linux

Alex Nordstrom alexander.nordstrom at tpg.com.au
Thu Sep 9 10:07:54 WST 2004

On Thursday, 9 Sep 2004 08:57, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> Hey All interesting article of how Microsoft views Linux.
>
> Not sure whether its just marketing or not.
>
> http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;2085474257;fp;16;fpid;0

If that's Microsoft's idea of marketing, somebody needs to go back to
school. I doubt it, though, given their track record in that area.

I'd say this shows why they have been beating their marketing drums so
hard lately. (They even had a two-page "Get the `facts'" campaign in
the first issue of the Swedish Linux World edition.)

But while MS can present a glossy picture in their advertising, the U.S.
has quite strict accounting regulations, especially following the Enron
and Worldcom belly-ups (with mandatory quarterly reports as compared to
the Australian semi-annual requirement). Failure to provide full
disclosure on the issue -- and you don't have to be an OSS proponent to
see that Microsoft's position is threatened -- could lead to top execs
being led off in shackles by the time Redmond falls.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/