mail-list vs news, was Re: [plug] Looks like the LCA DVD is out.

Alex Nordstrom alexander.nordstrom at tpg.com.au
Fri Sep 10 16:55:39 WST 2004

On Friday, 10 Sep 2004 16:34, Joel Johnson wrote:
> > My sympathies. There are, however, many good, list-capable
> > alternatives for those stuck with Microsoft Windows, even if you
> > don't have access to a shell account on a proper computer.
>
> Not when working with a SOE. Company standard is Outlook Express. Too
> many Chicken Littles running around here for things to change in this
> lifetime.

My even deeper sympathies. I believe at least some of my suggestions
require only user privileges, though. Of course, I realise there may be
other policies stopping you from going that route.

> If all these other mail clients are so good, then can someone explain
> why I keep getting two copies?

Because you request it:

 Joel Johnson <jjohnson at westnet.com.au>

I've respected your conflicting manual request this time and removed you
from the recipient list; don't count on me remembering to do that or on
anyone else ignoring your automated request.

Many MUAs have a "reply to list" option. KMail does, but I prefer to use
its "intelligent" Reply function, which replies to the reply-to if it
exists, otherwise list-id or list-post if that exists, or from address
if none of the former exist. That way those who prefer off-list copies
can request them.

I believe Thunderbird and possibly other programs lack a "reply to list"
function, so the users may need to press "reply all" and remove the
former poster's address. I believe it still respects the reply-to
header if one exists, though, so I always make sure to set the reply-to
address to the list posting address (and use a grumpy signature) since
I have a passionate disliking for off-list replies.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/