[plug] Debian/Gnome Global Applications Menu

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Sep 10 18:38:09 WST 2004

Tim White wrote:

> avalible for it[1]. I am wondering how I can edit the Debian menu so
> that I can add the item to all users.

Read the stuff in /usr/share/doc/menu/.  Basically you stick files in
/etc/menu/ that are of the same format as the ones in /usr/lib/menu,
then run update-menus.

NB If you're using woody, then please ignore the following two answers
as I never really used woody on a desktop machine and I suspect that
GNOME looked somewhere different for menu files back in the 1950s.
And upgrade to sarge! :-)

> I also want to be able to add it to the gnome menu as lots of items
> in the deb menu aren't in the gnome menu.

You'll need to write ".desktop" files and stick them in (I think)
/usr/local/share/applications/

> its files go there. I am thinking of making a deb for it and installing
> it properly. I have installed it in /opt (this is where openoffice is as

Already been done.  See http://packages.debian.org/mozilla-firefox

Cameron.