[plug] Re: mail-list vs news

Alex Nordstrom alexander.nordstrom at tpg.com.au
Sat Sep 11 16:25:45 WST 2004

On Saturday, 11 Sep 2004 16:13, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <200409111546.22146.alexander.nordstrom at tpg.com.au>
>
> on Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 03:46:21PM +0800, Alex Nordstrom wrote:
> > I doubt you would be able to download just the headers with NNTP if
> > you insist on having your own NNTP server, either.
>
> LOL I think the point of all this is that PLUG would run its own NNTP
> server -- people would not be asked to run their own!

I realise that. My point was that running your own mail server and
expecting the benefits of IMAP in terms of selective downloading is a
bit like running an NNTP server with that expectation. You have to use
an external server to make use of selective downloading, regardless of
protocol. Okay, given that a PLUG NNTP server would be more central
than ISP-maintained mail servers, it's not exactly the same situation.

> I agree that it is an issue of personal preference, and there I
> continue to advocate list<->group equivalence.

That's a very sensible approach, I think. The more interfaces you have
to any single forum, the more participants you will get. I'm involved
in the Linux Society of Sweden, and as I understand it, we're currently
working on integrating Mailman mailing lists and Plone Web fora, so I
find the issue quite interesting. If you do get a working bridge
between newsgroups and mailing lists, it would be very nice to know the
details.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/