[plug] Re: mail-list vs news

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sat Sep 11 16:39:10 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:

> However, this also implies more resource consumption on the PLUG
> servers (incl. disk space to store additional copies of all the
> messages).

Spark doesn't have much disc space left -- about 450mb on / and 200mb
on /home.

Speaking of which... does anyone have some relatively powerful (in the
general ballpark of 800MHz, >256MB RAM) hardware that they'd be
willing to donate to PLUG to replace our current server?

If we get a more powerful server, /then/ all we'd need is someone with
the time and knowledge to make it do NNTP<-->mail gatewaying...

> My wish is for us just to be able to use our Mailman passwords and
> subscriber addresses (i.e. let Mailman be the authoritative source of
> permitted subscribers and passwords, rather than creating a separate
> web interface for creating newsgroup accounts).

Could Mailman and the NNTP server both be set to authenticate from
one source, e.g. an SQL database?

Cameron.