[plug] Static IP Dialup vs ADSL

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sat Sep 11 18:21:31 WST 2004

On Saturday 11 September 2004 16:24, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Alex Nordstrom wrote:
> > Being from Sweden, I'm used to dialup being charged by the minute.
> > While I certainly never liked that, this "quota" thing you have here
> > seems even more evil.
>
> Most dial-up accounts these days don't have quotas, and

Mine still does. So do lots of others.

> > > The bandwidth I do have (dialup; 250 megabyte/month quota) has

> Yup.  But I suspect that what Bernd is paying for is a static IP and
> permanent connection, and that he where he lives, he can't ADSL --
> otherwise why stick with dialup?  Dial-up + line rental costs

About $20/month more in costs; and it's more than I can justify as
a business expense.

> /substantially/ more than an ADSL connection.  e.g. Looking at
> WestNet's web site, permanent dialup is $66/mth (with unlimited
> traffic), plus $27/mth line rental from Telstra -- it ends up costing
> more than 1500/256 ADSL with a 14GB cap.

Telstra Homeline Budget is about $20/month rental. I get away with
an average of 3 to 4 calls per month ($1.20) and permanent dialup
with static IP and subdomain costs $40/month. About $60/month.

Greater traffic than the 250 MB/month included quota cannot
generally be justified for business purposes. Nor can the cost of an
accountant to work out the FBT for ADSL.

Cheapest static IP ADSL I can get is about $80/month (plus $40/year
for subdomain) while preserving my iiNet subdomain.