[plug] [Hey Bernd] Re: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

Craig Foster fostware at westnet.com.au
Sun Sep 12 18:49:20 WST 2004

Wow, I would have thought that heavy handed... (maybe it's just me).
Blocking ~20% (wild guess) of Perth net users seems a little drastic.

Why not just drop mail with executable / scripting sttachments? Spamassasin
with vbs/pif/exe attachments +100 will do it.
You can also use Messagewall to scan and drop Clam AV-positive mail at the
SMTP level. It's in unstable I think.

> > would make it think my messages contained viruses after seeing just
> > the RCPT TO command, but there's something a bit odd there.
>
> You're white-listed now.
>
> --
> /"\ Bernd Felsche
<snip>

Personally, I would like to see ISPs build in the outbound virus scan into
their base products.
I love the way SME Server / E-smith transparently proxies SMTP traffic
through the mail server (mailfront / qmail), and combined with ClamAV, it
cleans most (if not all) mail for viruses. Why couldn't ISPs do something
similar?

CraigF