[plug] Mandrake 10 question with AMD64

Michael Collard quadfour at iinet.net.au
Mon Sep 13 05:41:19 WST 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 23:35, Rod wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> I have a question in regards to running Mandrake 10.0 Official on my
> AMD64 system.  I have finally been able to get both XP and Linux to play
> fair with each other, but my problems persist with Mandrake.
>
> Specifically, when I load the Mandrake System Control Centre (where all
> the system configuration is done), the splash screen appears and just
> sits there.  I can run anything else, but the splash screen stays in the
> foreground.
>
> Any ideas what might be causing this?
>
> I have not tried a proper 64 bit distro yet, after the disaster of
> installing Fedora Core2 64 bit :-)

Hi Rod,

Mandrake 64 does a good job, it seems pretty stable. With the mcc
(Mandrake control center) thing though, try running mcc from the console
as root an look at the output. Its just a giant perl program so if its
stopping then you should find out why either with the ouput of it by
doing a 'ps x'.

Just be aware that Mandrake 64 is not updated like the i386 line, its
packages are a tad older and you may fidn it hard to find some 64 bit
packages.

Lemme know how you go :)

Regards
Michael Collard