[plug] Static IP Dialup vs ADSL

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Sep 13 13:39:00 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 12:50, Bernd Felsche wrote:

> If you look back a little further, you'll find that not only do I
> regularly fend off over 1000 spams a day at my SMTP server, but when
> vicious worms infect susceptible machines, I get bombarded with over
> 10,000 attacks per day, attempting to email me worms that vary
> between 30 and 250 kilobytes.

Heh; you should try running a newspaper's mailserver. Email addresses at
our company seem to be in every "firewall? Virus scanner? What? Huh?"
looser's address book. We get an incredible deluge of such mail whenever
a significant new variant comes out.

As a newspaper you also have fun like this to deal with:
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/planetarycom/contact.html
"Gee, let's publish a giant directory of juicy email addressees on the
Internet. Spam bots? What're they?"

It's a really, really good idea to do a google search for your own email
address periodically. That way you can try to talk some sense into
anybody listing your email address on a public site. I get good results
with this, but it's a never-ending battle. At least the POST's 'contact
us' page attempts to do some basic User-Agent filtering (and I'll soon
be moving it to require the user to click on a button to view the
addresses, on the theory that most bots probably won't use a form).

Alas, my own address is doomed forever. A whole bunch of mailing lists
don't spam-protect their archives. The [LIAS] list, the info-cyrus list,
the linux-lvm list, the wizard list, the [PLUG] list ... wait a sec,
[plug]?!?

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22craig%40postnewspapers.com.au%22+PLUG&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Dammit. [plug] is still showing unmangled emails in the thread display.
See:
http://www.cantech.net.au/plug/2003-06/msg00204.html

--
Craig Ringer